Spring is officially here and with it comes florals and bright colors, oh my! There are lots of reasons we decide to redecorate our homes. For some, craving a fresh new start for Spring could be one of them. For others, moving out and not having any of their own decor could spur a sudden need to purchase all things beautiful for your new home. I currently fall into the latter category, which is exciting but also terrifying because it means I have to find a lot of stuff in not a lot of time, and also make sure the items I purchase do not contain synthetic materials like polyester. While on the hunt for new furniture and decor, I realized this would be the perfect time for my first post! I’ve found a ton of beautiful items with synthetic fibers, which makes me want to cry a little, but more importantly, I found great pieces made with natural fibers and would love to share.
One thing to keep in mind is that I try to stay away from certain items that are new because of off-gassing of harmful chemicals which makes this process that much harder. Chemicals that are often in new furniture are formaldehyde, benzene, ammonia, and toluene. Pieces that often off-gas are new rugs, new carpet, new couches, new mattresses, and many new wood products (think coffee tables, bookshelves, etc.) The short term effects are headaches, sore throat, asthma, and burning eyes, while long term effects could be as severe as cancer. You can let these items air out or bake in the sun before bringing them into your home, like I’ve done with new area rugs that were too beautiful to pass up. However, buying gently used items on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace are also great options. Just make sure they are made with natural fibers!
Without further ado, here are my top picks for natural home decor this Spring!
- Vintage Moroccan Pouf Cover ($232 on Etsy). This bright and fun boho pouf is made of wool and cotton. Note that this is the cover only, but honestly that’s a blessing in disguise. You can fill it with old cotton towels to be both eco-friendly and ensure it’s filled with cotton!
2. Wool Shag Rug ($29.40). Shag rugs are all the rage right now, but most are made from 100% Polypropylene. Yuck! This 100% wool rug is both affordable and adorable.
3. Floral Cotton Tablecloth ($29.99). This 100% cotton, conscious tablecloth from H&M is beautiful and perfect for Spring/Summer. Add some color to an otherwise neutral dining room for a show stopping and fun pop!
4. Cotton Pom Pom Throw Blanket ($38.49). Warmer temperatures means air conditioning gets turned on, much to my dismay. Stay warm at the office and around the house with this salmon colored throw blanket from Target that doesn’t make you look like an Eskimo. (Nothing against Eskimos – I just prefer to look less bundled in Spring).
5. Floral Print Duvet Cover Set ($59.99). Another winner from H&M, this 100% cotton (conscious) duvet cover set is honestly going in my next place! So pretty.. I can’t even! And it’s perfect for Spring and Summer.
6. Cotton Hammock Chair ($62.00). This cotton hammock is perfect for dozing off on a warm Spring afternoon and would make a nice bed for your cat or dog if you aren’t occupying it (or maybe you are -we’re all about sharing here). You could put this inside a boho apartment, or on your outdoor patio. Either way, it’s going to get some attention and for good reason!